Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Respect

Ok, so when I first got here I didn't even realize what people were doing and saying when they greet each other. I must have been really out of it getting off that plane.

Anyway, even though my host mother does not speak English she is a very good teacher. She will point at something and tell me the name of it in Thai. I listen and repeat until I get it right and most of the time I forget in the following 5 minutes but she always goes back and tells me again. Every Thai person knows at least one English word, and the one that everyone knows is 'happy'. The way they say it is soo funny if I can catch it on video I will.

Back to what I was saying, my host mom first taught me the traditional Thai greeting. Its hard to explain but I found this video that pretty much says it all, I might make my own later though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRtsCuVqxtQ

I have to do this for all my teachers, my parents, and all the old people. A lot of the time at school you see boys doing it to girls (like a lame way of flirting). When I walked into my first class which thank god was English, every body in the class went crazy when I shook my teachers hand. My English teacher is not Thai, he is from the middle east.

That's all for now :)

Rachel



2 comments:

Ja'Nise said...

Hi Rachel, Its Ja'Nise unsure if you remember me meet u a few weeks ago at my church! So glad that I found your blog definitely interesting!! I'll definitely be following you lol. Have fun!

~Ja'Nise

Rachel Lee said...

Hey! good to hear from you! I could not find your blog with the link you gave me, I will email you :)