Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Post #6: Thai Words I have learned

So, these are the few Thai words I have learned so far :) I have written them in my own pronunciation so that I can remember. This is in no way how you actually spell the word because they have their own alphabet entirely! I carry around this really small notebook so that I can write down what people tell me and it helps me remember :)

Teacher: Kun Krru (roll the 2 r's)
How you would pronounce: Khrū p̄hū̂ s̄xn

Sticky rice and mango: cao niao ma muang (ข้าวเหนียวมะม่วงด้วย)
How you would pronounce:K̄ĥāwh̄enīyw mam̀wng

I think I will stick to my own description of the words :)

I like...: chan chop

Japanai?: Where are you going?

auleva: what? (this is the not so polite way of saying what, you would not say to a teacher or your parents, just your friends :)

cao nalac: he's cute (the first thing I learned, lol)

ko tor ka: excuse me (sorry, get out of my way)

chan mein heu: I'm not hungry

chan heu: I'm hungry

ca pun  ka: thank you (I use this alot)

sa wa dee ka: greeting (you put your hands together and slightly bow, i do this to show respect for my teachers and parents and older people)

falang: foreigner (I hear this alot)

karuna (please)

Ma muang: Mango (has become my nickname because nobody can pronounce my real name and they watch me eat alot of this)

aloy - delishious

aloy ma  - very delishious 

Me - mom

Paw - dad

tang mo - watermelon

pet - spicy (i use this alot)

cao - rice

cao tom - rice soup (yummy)

Lin saw - pencil

pa(w) ca - pen

chan mai shop -  I don't like


I learn more and more by the second but atleast these words I can jot these down :)

Rachel (Ma muang)























No comments: