Monday, August 15, 2011

Post: My first days in Thailand

This is going to be my first real post because up till now I haven't even felt like writing. Ive tried to write but I haven't been able to get my thoughts together until now :)

Anyway, I guess I should start with the city itself. It reminds me of Mexico and Africa combined. The busy streets filled with more motorcycles than cars, the markets and the street vendors. The bulletin boards advertise calling cards, skin lightening creams and electronics all with popular singing groups or some really pretty modeling. Here you can drive a car at 18 and mann a motorcycle at 16 which of course means you can drive at 16 and motorcycle at 14. Convenient right? The way people drive here reminds me too much of Jamaica. Motorcyclists swerve through speeding traffic and when you swear someone is about to get killed they get out of the way in a split second.

True story: My host dad was driving 120mph on some little street while on our way to a wedding (which I will talk about later), and....I almost pissed my pants.

 When I got off the plane in Hat Yai I was greeted by 2 Thai women in rotary uniforms, at that point I was ready to go home with anybody, all I wanted to do was sleep. I got into their car and thought they were going to take me to a place where I could do exactly that, but instead they took me to this children's jail. No, they didn't take me to imprison me for being American but the rotary group was doing a service project where they planted mango and palm trees (for palm oil). Personally, I don't think bad little children deserve mango and palm trees but whatever.

Anyway, I got there in time to hear them sing the queens anthem because apparently I had arrived on the queens birthday, yay. Anyway, guess who they wanted to help them plant their little trees! Me, and honestly I was so tired that I had a hard time giving a crap about their little trees. I think they could tell I was tired because they kept asking me if I was ok and I kept saying yes.

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments: